Monday, March 5, 2012

Jerky!

Blessings Darlings!

I made my first batch of jerky!  And it's GOOD!

You see, a big ol' whole rump or round roast was at a good price at Costco.  So I grabbed it.  I used some immediately for fried rice. I canned some, for stews later. 

Then I sliced thin two pounds of it, added a marinade (I practically grabbed the marinade recipe at random from the internet), let it sit overnight, then slapped it into the dehydrator.  Later in the day, it was done.

Easy peasy.

And remember, I don't have a great dehydrator.  Mine doesn't have a variable heat setting, but DOES have a fan.

Everyone in the family likes it. No one has had food poisoning. My son gave some to one of his managers at work, and HE likes it (he doesn't have to lie to me, either).

Yay!

Since cheap tough meat is still on sale, I may well make more.  Actually, I had BETTER make more .... this stuff's going FAST.

Actually, I'd love to make some salmon jerky, if I can do that with previously-frozen fillets.  Has anyone tried that?

Frondly, Fern

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Now I wish I had a dehydrator. Someday, when I have a big girl house with a big girl kitchen. *sigh*

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete