Friday, March 16, 2012

Herb Garden Plan

Blessings Darlings!

I've sort of decided to put in a raised herb garden in the front yard.  However, I suspect the Chubby Hubby is going to tell me to have it elsewhere, because he thinks that flowers and such belong in a front yard and useful stuff in a back 40.

So I'm not really sure WHERE it will go.

OTOH, I've decided that it will probably be made of 8 railroad tie type wooden beams, stacked two deep, held in place by drilling two holes (one at each end) of them and pounding a 12 inch metal stake thru' them into the ground.  So the area will be, I dunno 4' by 4' or 5' by 5', whatever length they come in.

The ground within will be lined heavily with newpaper, my usual approach for smothering grass and weeds.  Then I'll dump the contents of my 'compost bin' -  the  30 gallon garbage can I've put all our kitchen waste in for the past year - on top of that.  And in will go my seedlings, as well as any herbs I have to buy since the rosemary seeds, among a few other herbs, haven't sprouted. 

I'll need to buy some peppermint, too, to put somewhere where it won't be a problem.  It can be VERY invasive, but like many of the herbs its flower attract bees by the bushel and thus help keep bees going strong and help insure that pollinators come visit all my plants.  Which is important to the vegetable garden!

How does your garden grow?

Frondly, Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment